Monday, March 05, 2007

Subtitle courtesy of David Crowder Band



So, have I mentioned I'm going to Europe?

I'm going to Europe! In two hours. Not that I'm excited or anything, but I could pee my pants at any moment.

Sorry if it seems like I'm just bragging that next week is probably going to be more fun for me than it is for you. That wasn't the intention of this post. I really just want to talk about how ridiculously and almost nauseatingly lucky I am.


"The beauty of grace is that it makes life unfair"

-Relient K

Lives can change so dramatically and so quickly. It's scary if you're busy holding on to whatever you can, but its also a reason for the hopeless to hope. Providence can come in the blink of an eye just like misfortune... I think of where I was 3 months ago and where I am now and the difference those three months have made to me. And now here I am, awestruck, tazered by God's grace. Which is great, but, where do I go from here?

Psalm 50:7-15
This is God, your God,
speaking to you.
I don't find fault with your acts of worship,
the frequent burnt sacrifices you offer.
But why should I want your blue-ribbon bull,
or more and more goats from your herds?
Every creature in the forest is mine,
the wild animals on all the mountains.
I know every mountain bird by name;
the scampering field mice are my friends.
If I get hungry, do you think I'd tell you?
All creation and its bounty are mine.
Do you think I feast on venison?
or drink draughts of goats' blood?
Spread for me a banquet of praise,
serve High God a feast of kept promises,
And call for help when you're in trouble—
I'll help you, and you'll honor me."

So it turns out gratitude is all I can give. God already has everything he needs. What he wants is for me to give him credit. And that, mis amigos, is what I intend to do. So, the thesis part of the whole thing is that God has bailed me out of some trying times, and he can do the same for you. Our God is infinitely clutch! He totally knows it, too and actually looks forward to the next time he can rescue us. Why?

Really, that's for Him to answer. If I had to venture a guess, it's this: every bad situation you've been rescued from is, in some ways, just a metaphor for how God has rescued you from the ultimate bad situation of being both sinful and accountable for your actions. You were once an enemy of God, but now, not so much. Quite the reverse in fact.

I will sing, sing a new song... okay, have fun in North America, suckers.

5 comments:

timmer k. said...

But...but...I DON'T HAVE ANY PATIENCE!!!!

What am I supposed to do for the next few days? WATCH BASEBALL or something??? Honestly. Do you think I can do that AT WORK?!?

Unknown said...

...good teaser. :)

—b

Victoria said...

Europe = Big Place Finbar

I'm sorry, but I'll need more details....

Anonymous said...

It's been a pleasure seeing you walk through this valley and having God rescue you from it brother. Glad to see your praising him from the mountain tops.

He went to Barcelona Vicki. Interestingly enough I just read Peter Carlsons music monday blog where he showcases a different band each time. This week the band's name is "I'm From Barcelona". Craziness. They're a Swedish band too. Love that.

Unknown said...

i saw you in church today. im anxious to read how your trip went.

-b