Monday, March 26, 2007

Walruses lay their eggs in trees.

The eggs then hatch into larvae, which look much like cheese curls. Most do not survive to the pupal phase.

Ahem. (Looks around, nervously)

After following that act, this week's content may appear to make more sense.

I don't think I've been public enough about my music life lately. Therefore, I present, in no particular order, my "Top 5 albums I've recently either purchased or borrowed with intent to purchase":

1. OK Go- Oh No

This CD is pure euphoria. I love it. OK Go is a Chicago group that's really found a nice way to flavor straight-up indie rock. Yet behind it all, you can tell they have some geek tendencies. Oh No is their second release, and almost certainly their last as an independent production- they won a grammy for this video, which is, in fact, awesome.

If I had to choose a favorite track on this: Invincible



2. Switchfoot- Oh! Gravity
Oh! Gravity was officially released on 1/1/07, which coincided quite nicely which the free leaching offered all of New Year's Day on u-torrent. I was actually kind of disappointed with this one my first listen-through, especially the opening track(title) and closing track(let your love be strong). Perhaps it was because their previous release, Nothing Is Sound, would be in the running for my favorite album *ever*. Anyway, two weeks after the intial let-down, I decided to spin it again and found that that time, it was waaaaay better for some reason. I've probably heard it all the way through about 10 times now and it still hasn't stopped growing on me. My prediction: barring some sort of head injury to Jon Foreman, these guys are always going to be singing something worth hearing because their songs are just so lyrically sturdy.

Favorite Tracks:
Yesterdays, Awakening



3. Jars of Clay- Good Monsters
I've only heard this twice, as it just came out, but I can tell I'm going to be impressed with it already.

I've heard people say it's really different than stuff that the band has done before, and to that I just have to say "Whatever." Maybe the instrumentation might be different but it's still totally Jars of Clay. The first time I heard this CD was on St. Patty's day, and I had absolutely no idea what I was listening to until Dan Haseltine's instatly recognizable voice comes in.

Favorite Tracks:
Oh My God, if they would find a way to end it! What do they mean by the abrupt fizzle after a 2-minute build?
Otherwise: Good Monsters

4. Imogen Heap- Speak for Yourself


This lady is so original and talented. I'm kind of afraid that she's slated to die in a drug overdose or a suicide like so many other musicians that have those charcteristics.

I'd say this album employs the coolest use of vocal distortion I've ever heard.

Favorite Track:
Hide and Seek (Cliche of me to choose the blockbuster single? Maybe... so sue me.)

5. David Crowder Band- All I Can Say

This isn't necessarily new, it's actually their first CD. And technically, it's done by the University Baptist Church praise band, which just happened to have all the same members as David Crowder Band. There was a multi-year period of time that there was, I swear, zero copies of this available for purchase. But it's finally in print again! If you're a Crowder afficianado, you should go get it from their website or elsewhere.

The first track, All I Can Say, is one of the best songs that mankind has ever produced, and I will not be argued with on this matter.

------------------------------------------
Bonus list:
Dwarves that were cut in the waivers before Disney decided on the final seven for "Snow White":

1. Bleedy
2. Sweary
3. Inverse Hyperbolic Cosiney
4. Lispy
5. Gary

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Imogen Heap is soooooo great! Good call on that disc.

Anonymous said...

Gotta agree with you about All I Can Say man. Love that tune. It was pretty revolutionary at the time it came out too. Christian musicians hadn't really done many lament type songs like that.

Michelle said...

I second Mike's call on the David Crowder cd.

timmer k. said...

I third.

Oh, and you forgot a few of the dwarves, namely:

Touchy
Feely
Gropey

Snow White filed sexual harassment suits against all of them before shooting began.