Friday, August 25, 2006

Love your enemies, kids

Today, this is my greatest challenge. God, it seems impossible. I understand why I should, that makes perfect sense. In the words of Derek Webb, "My enemies are men like me". It's the execution of this principle that I have the trouble with. When I hurt, I find myself wanting others to hurt too, even though I know that I'm not redistributing the load of pain on myself, I'm creating a fresh load for someone else. That makes me a big dink. I try to emulate Christ, but if I got crucified today, would I be praying for the folks who did the deed?

Probably not. Which is exactly why Christ was up there dying for me in the first place. Because I am completely incompetent and worthless on my own. All I have is the hope in the truth of God's words when he says that his grace is enough. And if the best thing that I can ever be is the prodigal son, then dammit, that's all I ever want to be.

1 comment:

Josh said...

I saw where you were a Derek Webb fan. We just finished wrapping up an interview on our podcast with him. Thought you might enjoy it.

Derek Webb Podcast

Thanks!