Tuesday, November 27, 2007

In case anyone cares...

I'm really surprised at the lack of publicity surrounding the link between alfalfa sprouts and lupus. I just did a quick PubMed search of "lupus alfalfa sprouts" and found there was actually a bit of literature to back up the claim. Apparently, alfalfa contains a non-native amino acid called L-canavanine, which structurally resembles the native amino acid L-arginine and is often incorporated into proteins its place, producing defects in the folding patterns and function.

L-canavanine








L-arginine


Just thought you should know. And, I now feel be better prepared to defend my position if the person behind the counter at Bruegger's ever calls me out on hating sprouts again.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yeah, research like that is always being buried by the man. The alfalfa growers are obviously in bed with the biomafia.

timmer k. said...

I'm surprised Alfalfa growers are getting in bed with anyone...

Chris said...

i heart sprouts - aaaand lupus. obivously they go together which just makes my day.