Sunday, September 23, 2007

Minutiae

So, as of yesterday (9/22), summer is over even in the most technical of senses. Can you say transvernal equinox? If you can, don't. People will think you are pompous and arrogant. I learned that lesson in middle school. That's a side note. I kinda feel like complaining about summer being over. I guess that won't make much of an entry though. Shoot.

Sometimes I post things on here because I have something to say. Other times, I post because I have an hour or so before I really feel like sleeping. Can you guess which of the two situations this is?

So, speaking of equinoxes, have you ever heard that on ten minutes on either side of the spring equinox, something in the Earth's magnetic field will change so that you can stand an egg on its small end? When I was in maybe third or fourth grade, my mom and my brother spent at least an hour trying to get that trick to work. Amazingly, we actually did get the eggs balanced after a lot of labor... but I'm pretty sure it had absolutely nothing to do with the sun's direct rays hitting a different side of an imaginary line going around the circumference of the earth. I guess what I'm wondering is, was my dad just making up this prank to keep us busy, or has anybody else ever heard something like that before?

I'm glad I told that story, it kept me from e-blathering about ethics in public health for a couple paragraphs. Sigh.

1 comment:

timmer k. said...

Chris...you make me happy when skies are grey.

Just thought you should know.